- 275g All Purpose Flour ( 2 Cups )
- 200g Fed Sourdough Starter ( 3/4 Cup Stirred Down )
- 125g Milk ( 1/2 Cup )
- 75g Plain Yogurt ( 1/4 Cup )
- 5g Kosher Salt ( 1Tsp )
- Splash of Milk Prior to Baking
- 71g Salter Butter Softened ( 5 Tbsp. )
- 56g Sugar ( 1/4 Cup )
- 85g Hazelnut Spread ( 1/2 Cup )
- 1/4tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Roasted Hazelnuts
- Mix all the dough ingredients together in a large bowl. The dough will be slightly tacky or sticky.
- Cover dough bowl with foil to limit air flow.
- Rise slowly either at room temp. for approximately 4-6 hours or in the fridge for 2-3 days. ( I use a combination of both. About 5 hours room temp then 1-2 days in the fridge. ) NOTE: If rising in the fridge for a long period of time ensure you rotate the dough every day to prevent drying. Dough should grow about 1.5x original size.
- When dough has finished rising, prepare filling by mixing all the filling ingredients in a bowl and combining well.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured counter. Flour the top of the dough and press it into a 10×13 rectangle.
- Flour the top and flip it over. Then lightly flour again, gently brushing the flour across the surface. This prevents the dough from being too sticky.
- Spread the filling over the top of the dough leaving about 1/2 inch of empty space along the short sides. Sprinkle hazelnuts over the filling.
- Wet fingers and dampen the 1/2 inch gap left on both short sides to help the dough stick.
- Roll the dough into a log starting with the short side, let the dough rest on the seam for a few minuets.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife cut the log down the center long ways.
- Cross the two halves over each other to form and “X”.
- Twist the strands under one another to to form a twist shape. ( See Image Below )
- Pinch ends together. Using a bench scrapper or a spatula, scoop the twisted dough up and place it in the loaf pan. The long twist will scrunch up at this point to fit in the pan.
- Cover and allow it to proof at room temp for about 1 hour or in the fridge for 8-10 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Brush loaf with milk and sprinkle more cardamom over the top if you want.
- Bake uncovered for 60 min. Ensure internal temp reaches at least 190F.
- Remove and allow it to cool for 30 min. Remove from pan and peal back parchment paper and enjoy.
Success! You’re on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn’t process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.